[T3] 70 Square. 1 Owner. OG Paint and Documentation

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 08:07:32 PST 2014

I'd not heard of others noticing an original factory (partial) repaint
before, but the delay in the Marina blue body compared with the chassis
number and the production plate makes it the only reasonable explanation.

The three RHD Squarebacks I had in my possession at one time or another were
actually planned to be made on consecutive days - amazing coincidence, but
true.  Presumably a batch for the UK.  One I bought when it was 5 yrs old,
my current one was 20 when I bought it, and the third was a scrap rolling
body with bits removed, to finish the dismantling.

The one with repainted door had the latest chassis number, but wasn't the
last according to the production plate - I assume the body was held up
before being married to the chassis, for a repainted door to be fitted.

We have to do a bit of speculation in the absence of a production worker
confirming it, but only with supporting evidence!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club