[T3] FI Dizzy for Carbs

Jonathan Stiles misterstiles at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 21:42:49 PDT 2014

Adam,

The correct distributor for you setup is a "231 170 034" from a '74 federal
Beetle. This is the distributor all aftermarket SVDA dizzys are built on.
It's not that the dizzy you have won't work, but it is not the correct one
so it won't function within its design. The vacuum advance curve
doesn't match the cam pulse profile for a dual port engine running dual
DRLA's. I have tried other combinations but it never worked right or
without a lot of fiddling around.

My own personal VW runs dual 36mm Dells with a "034" dizzy with no
hesitation or idle issues. I have installed this combination on a half
dozen client cars with excellent results.

The "034" times at 7.5 degrees BTDC at 850-900 RPM with the vacuum hose
detached and plugged.

Hope this helps.

Jon Stiles
Denver, CO