[T3] Brake Warning Light

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 19:30:34 PST 2014

>The problem is likely either that the long brake line to the rear has
>rusted thru under the gas pedal, or the master cyl is leaking out the
>opening that faces the pedals. In either case, you might have noticed
>an odd smell (brake fluid) when this started, because both leaks
>would have come out on the floor under the pedals. That fluid lifts
>paint and promotes corrosion, so you want to clean it up. Just use a
>sponge and water.

In the '70's and early '80's my Type 3 was a daily driver, Wisconsin car,
with kids in the back seat ... you know, wet, muddy, salt-laden winter
boots, etc. ... I discovered a puddle of brake fluid.
But on further inspection the steel brake line, next to the tunnel had
failed.
The rusty portion was in an area from the just below the heater levers to
the rear seat kick panel had rust.
The leak was in an area where I could cut the steel line, install a new
section with compression fittings, refill the dual-chamber reservoir and
everything was well with the rear brakes again.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)