[T3] 6 V Generator question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 19 19:44:19 PST 2014

One of my long term projects has been to tool up to modify old OE
Bosch voltage regulators with modern solid state guts that I would
have to design and build. While I'm at it, I'd like to be able to do
6 V VRs as well as 12s. I have plenty of 12 V parts here, but no 6 V
parts. So I need to ask some questions about 6 V parts. If you have
any 6 V parts lying around, please let me know if you can answer any
of these questions.

I'm looking for information about 311 parts, but some of these may
have only Bosch part numbers on them.

1) What are the voltage and current markings on the generator? I
expect them to be 7 V, ? A. What part numbers are on this generator?

2) What are the voltage and current markings on the VR? I expect them
to be 7 V, ? A. What part numbers are on this VR?

3) The 12 V VRs have 2 little "arms" sticking out one side, with a
~1.5" length of thick wire welded between them. Do the 6 V VRs have
this same feature?

4) If anyone has a dead 6 V VR that they'd be willing to donate to
this project, I'll pay shipping to get it here. If you want it back,
I can do that, but it'll need to stay here awhile.

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org