[T3] Tow my T3 update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Oct 24 10:20:16 PDT 2014

On 7 Oct 2014 at 23:07, Tim Keohane wrote:

> Once that was addressed the 2 or 3 tries to start was examined. Found
> out my intake air pressure sensor would develop a vacuum but would
> lose it within 10-15 seconds. I just replaced it tonight and will give
> it a go in the morning. Maybe that is a source for lack of economy.
> 20-22 mpg. We used to get 28 +

That slow a leak is not a problem and is pretty normal in the '70-1
MAP sensors. 20-24 mi/gal is pretty normal. You'll get 28 only if you
drive 55 on a windless day.

> Another irritation is the kick down switch. It's broken. We can't keep
> it in 3rd gear ( auto tranny) at 45. Wants to shift up/down/up/down.
> We have to accelerate to 50 + then it will stay in 3rd.

That doesn't sound like a kickdown switch problem. Have you checked
the adjustment of the vacuum modulator. That's covered in the
lubrication & maintenance section of the Bentley.

> Question: can I remove the kick down switch ( electrically ) and have
> it run better/more consistently? No up/down/up/down shifting at
> certain speeds. 1st to 2nd is more tolerable for posted speeds here.

The kickdown switch only asks the AT to downshift sooner if you go
full throttle in a higher gear; otherwise it does nothing. Yes, you
can disconnect its power at the coil and see if this changes
anything. Most of the Type 3 AT kickdown systems out there are not
working and no one notices any problem.

> I just noticed my front tires also have some side movement. I'm
> watching that thread and will raise the front in a day or so. I hope
> it's just a ball joint.

A bad ball joint would be the hardest, most expensive, and least
likely thing to fix. Most likely is a wheel bearing that needs
adjustment or a sway bar that has come loose. If you can feel this
play by grabbing the top of the tire with the wheel on the ground and
yanking it sideways, the problem is most likely in the sway bar.

Check the rubber boots on the ball joints. If they are intact, the
ball joints are probaby fine.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org