[T3] Sputtering on hills and uneven fuel at speed

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:45:45 PDT 2014

My daily driver didn't drive this day. Yesterday after my normal commute
(10 miles highway) she started sputtering and coughing a bit on
acceleration. Drove it home last night and noticed some unusual behavior -
at highway speeds my gas foot was steady, but her speed was fluctuating
about about 10mph here and there. You could feel and hear it increasing and
decreasing slightly while at highway speeds. This morning started up fine
as usual but climbing up the big hill to my kids school immediately hit
major sputtering and coughing. ground leveled out and she was ok again,
more or less. drove back down hill and around the block a few times and it
still felt unreliable so I took my bicycle to work instead (and got a flat
but thats for the bike forum). Other factor is I just threw a few gallons
of gas in the tank before this happened yesterday. (bad gas?) or perhaps
ready for a new fuel filter? or perhaps god forbid a new fuel pump (ouch).
Anyway, she turns 45 years old this month, so need to keep this a daily
driver. Got a little sister for her this weekend too, but it's a
water-cooled .....
1970 fastback Fuel injected automatic
2013 golf          "         "              "