[T3] sputtering and bogging down under load - update

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:09:52 PDT 2014

Hi, after helping my neighbor load her westfalia into a shipping container,
I was able to turn my attention back to my fastback, which was sputtering
and bogging down under load. If you remember I started at the fuel overflow
hose and checked the flow of fuel at the fuel filter, replaced the fuel
filter, confirmed steady fuel pressure of 28 pds before and during the
symptoms while climbing a hill, also switched out the pressure sensor to no
effect, I was going to test the fuel pump output but after reading some FI
diagnosis and comments on the list, decided to go back to a basic tune up.
I found two things, I was unable to time the motor due to clearance issues
and had to re-orient the distributor drive shaft again to allow proper
timing. I switched my vacuum advance mechanism with the one off my spare
distributor. One of those things worked. I was able to set my timing to
tdc#1 with enough clearance for the distributor, and after increasing the
rpm adjustment obtained a satisfactory if uneven idle. I drove to work
today and will continue to monitor the hot running issue I was experiencing
to see if that was related to the timing or something else.
-Chris
70 fastback FI