[T3] Muffler oddity....

Tony Rongey trongey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 06:07:26 PDT 2014

Apparently not all VW mufflers got the equal length pipes.  Last year I replaced a rusted out muffler that was on a factory-rebuilt motor.  If it wasn't genuine then it was a very detailed fake. Just for grins I cut it all the way open, and it was just an empty can except for two baffle plates.  It was clear that there were never any internal pipes.  This muffler came from a '72 Square so it looks like they might have dropped the pipes in the late models.  The pipes were present in the first muffler that was in my daughter's '69 Square though.

Tony
'70 Fastback AT/FI daily