[T3] Muffler oddity....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 5 08:35:09 PDT 2014

On 5 Sep 2014 at 6:07, Tony Rongey wrote:

> Apparently not all VW mufflers got the equal length pipes.  Last year
> I replaced a rusted out muffler that was on a factory-rebuilt motor.
> If it wasn't genuine then it was a very detailed fake. Just for grins
> I cut it all the way open, and it was just an empty can except for two
> baffle plates.  It was clear that there were never any internal pipes.
>  This muffler came from a '72 Square so it looks like they might have
> dropped the pipes in the late models.  The pipes were present in the
> first muffler that was in my daughter's '69 Square though.

My impression is that the equal length tubes came on certain makes
but not on others. VW used some makes as OEMs and those came with the
VW logo on a circular raised area on the right rear of the muffler
body. Those same makes came with the circular raised area, but no
logo, if they were sold outside the VW network. Those may also have
been made from thinner gauge steel.

I THINK any muffler with the embossed VW logo would have had the
equal length pipes, but there were certainly non-genuine VW mufflers
that came with the equal length pipes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org