[T3] Towing my T3

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 15 15:31:52 PDT 2014

On 15 Sep 2014 at 14:55, Tim Keohane wrote:

> The tranny was acting up to begin with; erratic shifting/shifting into
> 3rd at 15mph/slipping at times/and downshifting-upshifting like it was
> confused. Prior to towing ( while on the dolly ) I fired it up and put
> it into drive then reverse to be sure it had fluid into the pump and
> valve body. On the level it would run and shift, up hill it would
> languish until the rpm's were higher. After pushing it off the dolly
> it drove into a parking place. You may have touched on something as it
> seemed fine on the flat but struggled up hill. Over time it has gotten
> worse so may be the pickup and filter/strainer. As for fluid level, we
> checked it every couple months,

Yes, this does sound like the ATF might be low.

I just want to make SURE that you understand that the ATF dipstick
test is only meaningful if done with the engine running. It tests the
ATF level when the AT passages are full of oil, making sure there is
plenty there under normal driving conditions. This is completely
different from how engine oil is checked, so I suspect it's tripped
up everyone at some time. That includes me, in a 1960 AT Corvair.

The ATF level is MUCH higher if the engine is off, so that's
completely misleading. Checking it correctly and bringing the ATF
level up to the proper mark makes a HUGE difference in operation.

You should also pull the vacuum hose off the vacuum modulator (on the
AT.) Those can leak without leaving a trace on the ground. Red ATF in
that hose indicates a leaky VM, but it's normal to find brown/black
engine oil condensate in there that accumulates slowly over time.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org