[T3] whistling gen belt

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 17:35:30 PDT 2014

Very strange! I've always used 9.5 x 1000 without problem. At a VW meeting
about 20 years ago I bought three Continental brand belts printed with
VW/Audi logo and the Type 3 part number. I think I've only fitted one, such
is the slow rate they wear out! A second one stays in the spare wheel in
case it's needed.

One of the UK club members showed me what appears to be a Type 3 fan pulley
that has had a steel insert fitted to take the belt. I've never seen one
before, or since. It appeared properly engineered, but he had no idea of its
origin either.  I suppose it might have been something used on stationary
engines, or some adaptation where the belt would have had more tendency to
slip, perhaps driving an ancillary device like a compressor or a fire pump.
I did take photos at the time.  I can't see the flats we use for the timing
marks, or the balancing fillet opposite, but the photos don't show the full
rim that side. There are some steel balancing plugs fitted, and tabs to lock
the steel rim to the aluminium casting.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club