[T3] whistling gen belt

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 18:45:37 PDT 2014

Gates 7395XL

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.om
71 Squareback  "Hothe"
65 Squareback  "Eggcrate"
65 Notchback  "El Baja Rojo"
93 RX7  "Redstur"
87 Golf  "Winterat"

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org [mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org]
On Behalf Of Phil Hof
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:30 PM
To: type3-vwtype3.org at lists.vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] whistling gen belt

Actually, two of the local FLAPS claimed the original belt was 1005mm, the
other 980.  These clowns have no clue.  I had to explain the numbering
scheme to them.  I'll try the NAPA store next. they seem to know more.

The 1000 belts were too large for both my original pulley and also the
replacement.  I could rotate the belt by hand without moving the pulley.
Maybe my fan pulley has worn significantly?  Not out of the question, since
the steel gen pulley did.  That could mean only a shorter belt would fit
right.  At least the 11x990 is tight enough, though it does so without a
single spacer washer between the pulley halves, so if it stretches as it
wears, it may begin to slip.  So I'll keep looking. Sounds like a 980 is
about right.  Time will tell.

What belts are others running (12V)?

-Phil