[T3] Desperate for '71 steering column housing

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Sep 6 15:08:38 PDT 2014

Well, I stepped in it this time.

Trying to eliminate the looseness in my steering column, which arose out of a broken clamp at the front (of car) end, I took it apart, and things went south from there.

The ignition switch,  NOS unit I replaced a few years ago, disintegrated, and may not stay in one piece after I pieced it back together.

Worse, the column housing is broken clean through.  The two used ones I bought to use to fix it are not from the same year— they are ‘70 I guess, since the key works differently, and the bearing is also different, so I can’t transfer the guts of my original into either of them.  They aren’t wired for the ’71 style with the X-terminal, and even the ground wire that is part of the multi-wire bundle from the turn signal switch is not the same.

So now I am looking for an unbroken ’71 column housing, part number 311 953 503 AJ.

I could also use a mother part made of unubtainium, namely the electrical portion of the ignition switch.  In the meantime I’ll order the Bug switch and see if I can make it work.

I need to get this together in the next three weeks or I’ll miss the west coast Type 3 Rally first week of October!

Anyone got the goodies I need?

Thanks,
-Phil