[T3] Long Center Brake Line

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 3 17:49:15 PDT 2015

As many of you know, the long center brake line on our cars is a bit
longer than that on Beetles, but ours rusts out just as often as the
Type 1s. Replacing one of these is a real PITA, so I've never wanted
to replace one with just another steel line. Quite a few years ago I
had about 10 of these made up in Stainless Steel, but those are long
gone. Does anyone remember how much I had to sell those for? I think
it was a lot.

In the meantime, I heard about a new material, a copper-nickel alloy,
that's supposed to be the best choice for brake lines, but, until
now, I'd never seen any of this stuff. Now I have, and I think I'm
ready to start making those lines myself. The cost would be similar
to the Stainless lines, but this material is much easier to work
with. It's much easier to bend and to form the VW bubble flare.

I'm also thinking that since I'm making these myself, if you sent me
your old line, I could pre-install all the rubber grommets that are
otherwise impossible to get over the line nuts without tearing. And I
could make other lines if you wanted, but I seldom see any need for
lines other that the long central one.

Before I get into this too deep, however, I'd like to get some idea
of how much interest there is for these. Let me know if you think you
might be interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org