[T3] Long Center Brake Line

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 4 19:11:30 PDT 2015

On 4 Jun 2015 at 21:23, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I've been using the "Russ Wolfe" method of using 2 shorter lines and a
> brass coupler for years. He had used two lines for years, as it's easier to
> connect the 2 ends to their respective points, and bend the lines around to get
> them to join together.

I really don't think the 2-piece solution is any easier to install,
and those unions are actually quite expensive, plus the cost of
making 2 extra flares and the nuts to go with them. (The nuts are
actually quite cheap.)

The real advantage of the 2-piece solution comes when you have to
replace that line the second time. That saves you all the rear end
fiddling, which is really the hardest part. Of course that advantage
disappears if you replace that line with one that won't rust a second
time. There's also another advantage, in that a correct length Type 3
part isn't available. Using the Bus line may be a reasonable
solution; I wonder how much longer it is.

As for Gary's fix, I think there is only one compression union in
that car. I haven't managed to find a second one. It looks to me like
the whole front half was replaced. Even out at the MC it looks newer
than the other lines. Since the damage always occurs very close to
the front end, that would have been the smart way to do it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org