[T3] Mufflers

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 7 05:12:25 PDT 2015

Some owners have a stash of them - I counted up 7 when I went looking in my
garage, some big bore, some small, and almost as many big bore tail-pipes!

No-one is making them now, so it's a matter of finding one from someone's
stash.  Most of the adaptations now lose the small heat exchangers with the
awkward 46mm nuts, and some use a Type 2 Bus muffler with appropriate
headers.

Trouble is, those with stashes seem to think they will need them, and are
reluctant to spread them around - certainly true of my two genuine VW
small-bore ones!

I took one of each of the pattern mufflers to a recent VW meeting in the UK,
and brought both home again.  Maybe most people have a spare already, or
it's the modern idea of 'Just in Time' supply!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club