[T3] Addiction

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 7 20:37:30 PDT 2015

On 6 Jun 2015 at 18:41, B Fye wrote:

> Found that my car was running on 3 cylinders.  Fixed that and then
> went to time the thing... 30 btdc at idle!!!  So, loosen the
> distributor, spun the thing and timed it at 5btdc w/ hoses unhooked.
> Put hoses on and can't get over to 5atdc per specs for this unit.  To
> top it off, now that I have 4 cylinders, I have smoke out the tail
> pipe!  Had ZERO prior.   Grrrrr'

Just a guess, but have you checked the mech adv? My guess is that
it's frozen, which would explain everything. This is rather common
and something I routinely fix in a dist rebuild.

Then you have to adjust the throttle so that the retard port is
enabled on the IAD. Then the retard should work, assuming it's okay,
as you previously reported.

For '72-3, your timing marks should look like:    |   |   | |

Meaning 5 ATDC, TDC, 5 BTDC, 7.5 BTDC.

If your timing marks look like:    |     | | |

Then this is an earlier pulley (with an earlier engine?) and the
marks mean TDC, 7.5 BTDC, 10 BTDC, 12.5 BTDC.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org