[T3] Horn & Steering Wheel Center Cap

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:50:58 PDT 2015

Two issues:
1969 Type 3 Squareback, FI, MT

1.)  Horn does not operate.  I removed and reattached the two spade
connectors on the horn.  Both connectors are tight.  I removed the center
cap on the steering wheel to check the brown wire (ground?).  That small
clip which holds the brown wire to the horn ring is tight.  Depressing the
horn ring in various areas, which should activate the horn, does nothing.
I also checked the (color) wiring diagram in the Bentley book, thinking
maybe there was a fuse.  Didn't seem to be a fuse.
Could the "jumper wire" which goes around the steering column, down by the
steering box, dropped off or is not making a good electrical connection?

2.)  Someone was asking about a deformed plastic center cap from "southern
heat", which would not stay in place.

I had broken the plastic which holds the cap with the copper-coated
"horseshoe" spring in place, several years ago.

Before eBay, Samba, swap meet parts, etc.  was a reality, where I could buy
a $10.00 Wolfsburg cap ...

I made and fitted a ~340° degree X 1/4" X 1/32" aluminum "ring", filed a
slot in the center of the aluminum for the spring to stick out, epoxied the
"ring inside of the plastic, and it's stayed in place for years.
--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)