[T3] brakes

Fiesta Cranberry fiestacranberry at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:49:49 PDT 2015

Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 18:47:40 -0400
From: Sean Bartnik <sjbartnik at mac.com>
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 56, Issue 1

In my experience, that kind of pulsating feeling is due to a rotor or drum
that is out of round.  I should say a drum that is out of round or a rotor
that is warped.  In a hydraulic system like auto brakes, since the fluid is
not compressible, if you have an out-of-round rotating component, you will
feel the pushback through the pedal when the out-of-round component forces
the piston (of the caliper or wheel cylinder) back against your foot
pressure.

If a drum or rotor is out of round, it needs to be turned to true it, this
involves removing the high spot by turning the part on a lathe.

If the issue is with a rear brake you are likely to feel it only through
the pedal and maybe through the seat of your pants when braking.  If the
issue is with a front brake you usually will feel the vibration through the
steering wheel as well when braking.  But since you have a noise from the
rear it sounds like the rear might be the first place to look.

OK, thanks---this is pretty much what I suspected.  I don't feel it thru
the steering wheel, altho my steering is pretty loose.  I do feel it thru
my "seat" :)  and almost thru the floor of the car.  I'm pretty sure it's
coming from the rear.

Do you guys think the shop caused this?  It wasn't happenng before.

Lori

--
"I wrestled with reality for 36 years, and I'm happy to say I've finally
won out over it."