[T3] Recalibrate speedometer

Mike Fritz mwfritz at lycos.com
Sat May 9 04:51:46 PDT 2015

Okay, it sounds like the deviation is linear. This means it's not an
issue of wheel size, or gearing. If it were, the symptoms would be
exponential. (If I'm getting my math terms right!)

That is, it would be off a PERCENTAGE not a fixed deviation. Having
never experienced this problem before, how I would approach this repair
is to carefully pull the needle off the shaft in the speedometer and
reposition it correctly. How is this done? I have no clue!

Thinking aloud, I suppose I would remove the speedometer and have a
friend drive the car at a fixed speed while you hold the connected
speedometer in your hand. Remove the needle and reposition it that way.

Or, you could remove the speedometer and cable. With the cable attached
to the speedometer, use a drill to get the speedometer going at a
certain speed, say 20 MPH. Tape the trigger on that drill so it stays at
that speed. Then, remove the needle and reposition.

That's just me thinking aloud, no idea if any of that is practical, or
even the best way. Keep up posted on how you proceed!

Regards,
Mike