[T3] Recalibrate speedometer

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat May 9 16:33:23 PDT 2015

On the speedometer problem, the needle is spring loaded back to zero (past
it really), so it's not easy to reposition with accuracy.  Maybe someone
fiddled with it, which is why it reads fast. The needle is quite thin, and
fairly easy to damage. If the perceived low gas mileage is something to do
with the odometer, that must also by turning too fast, reading too many
miles.  I think you said the odometer was OK (eg compared with a GPS), in
which case the low gas mileage may be nothing to do with the speedometer.
It could be simply due to low voltage output from the voltage regulator
(seems odd but it's one of the most common reasons for poor mileage with FI
cars.

A diagram showing the fuel sender and some advice on diagnosis and repair is
on my website at
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/fuelsend.htm
It's written for UK owners, so you may need to find your own sources for the
things in the links.

Grounding the wire from the sender with ignition on should give full scale
deflection on the gauge (certainly close to full anyway).  If it doesn't,
there's something wrong with the gauge side of things, not the sender, or
it's not grounding properly.  If the sender is suspect, it may be a dirty or
broken wire, corrosion in the joints or the connection to the casing.

Depending on what's actually wrong, it may be simple or tricky to repair.
The wire is very thin and easily broken, even when being careful!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club