[T3] Recalibrate speedometer

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:05:29 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Dave Hall <dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> On the speedometer problem, the needle is spring loaded back to zero (past
> it really), so it's not easy to reposition with accuracy.  Maybe someone
> fiddled with it, which is why it reads fast. The needle is quite thin, and
> fairly easy to damage. If the perceived low gas mileage is something to do
> with the odometer, that must also by turning too fast, reading too many
> miles.  I think you said the odometer was OK (eg compared with a GPS), in
> which case the low gas mileage may be nothing to do with the speedometer.
> It could be simply due to low voltage output from the voltage regulator
> (seems odd but it's one of the most common reasons for poor mileage with FI
> cars.

That's right, my odometer seems correct, but I have only been measuring it
on a trip by trip basis (e.g., a 9.6 mile trip according to the GPS reads
about 9.5 miles on the odometer).  I had originally thought that I would
need more testing to confirm that the odometer is correct, but now I don't
think so.  Assuming I am off by 10 mph on my speedo, and I trust my GPS
device that my average speed is about 40 mph, then after about an hour's
worth of driving (or 40 actual miles according to my GPS), my odometer
should read 30 if it was off just like my speedo.  After about 40 miles
this week (according to the GPS), my odometer is still within +/- .2 miles
of that.  So my odometer appears correct.

The low mileage is one of those other things I am dealing with.  I'll post
on that separately in due course.

> A diagram showing the fuel sender and some advice on diagnosis and repair
> is
> on my website at
> http://home.clara.net/hallvw/fuelsend.htm
> It's written for UK owners, so you may need to find your own sources for
> the
> things in the links.

Thanks for the link.  I had found this early and it was very helpful.  This
week is busy for me, but if I find time between work and home obligations
then I will write up the saga of my gas gauge woes.