[T3] Brake Calipers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 12 22:02:35 PDT 2015

The difference between early and late calipers comes up here about
6-10 times a year, and is well covered in the Bentley, including the
difference in torques that the different mounting bolts require.

Likewise, the difficulties in disassembling a front axle beam. That
also comes up here often. That is DEFINITELY not the simple solution
you're looking for. Going that route so that you can install
undersize Beetle calipers would be foolish, especially since I doubt
you have any idea of how complicated and time-consuming that job will
be. It also takes some special tools, and can be hazardous if you
don't know what you're doing. And, as Dave pointed out, there is
always the chance of damaging some hard to find part.

You're looking for a simple solution. The simple solution would have
been to send me your calipers to rebuild and find alternate
transportation for 7-10 days. Yes, depending on a 44 year old car as
a daily driver is probably expecting too much. There are just going
to be times when a quick simple fix won't be possible.

I told you that I much preferred to rebuild and return your calipers,
so that you would get back exactly what you needed. If you had bought
calipers outright from me, without telling me about your '73 front
axle beam you would have gotten correct Type 3 early calipers. They
still wouldn't have fit.

Here's what I can offer you. I'm willing to sell you a pair of
correct late Type 3 calipers. They will look identical, but they
aren't quite the same. They will be marked L & R. You must mount them
as marked. They won't be cheap, but if you send me your old calipers
afterwards, I'll give you an appropriate core refund. That refund
will range from $0-30 per caliper, depending on what I find when I
get them apart. I believe you mentioned that one of yours had a
broken bleed valve. Note that this automatically reduces its value by
$20, just because it's so much extra work to replace. Note also that
I won't accept early calipers in place of late ones, but I will
accept early ones IN ADDITION to late ones, so you can send me more
than 2 if you wish.

Let me know if you're interested. I have rebuilt calipers ready on
the shelf.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org