[T3] 72 VW Fastback idlle

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 20 08:05:29 PDT 2015

On 19 May 2015 at 13:39, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> After all this time of driving clementine I still am having issues
> with it idling too slow when the engine is fully warmed up.  As you
> can see in this video I have the idle screw out nearly all the way out
> and yes I know I need to reroute the hose for the vacuum advance.

The idle doesn't really sound all that low to me, but if you can't
adjust it, you can try cleaning out the idle air passage. The easy
way to do this is to remove the air cleaner and the intake air elbow.
Then you can see the opening for the idle air passage. Spray WD-40 or
LPS-1 in that hole while the engine is idling. That will usually
flush out any gunk.

> There is a part on the air distributor that looks like a vacuum
> diaphragm I think some manufacturers call it a dashpot.  It keeps the
> throttle from snapping shut too quick when you suddenly let off the
> accelerator.  Anyway I think part of it is missing as you may be able
> to see in the video.

Yes, it's missing the shaft that makes it work. You can try to find a
complete dashpot, or just remove the whole thing. It's not doing
anything right now, so it's not causing your slow idle.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org