[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Nov 9 12:59:17 PST 2015

On 4 Nov 2015 at 7:03, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> After nearly two months to cool off (and repeated thoughts to simply throw
> in the towel and sell the car--which I may ultimately do, but not yet), I
> finally dropped the engine and stripped it down to find out what happened.
>
> I had zero compression in cylinder 2 because the exhaust valve broke.  If
> you are interested in seeing the carnage, here it is:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pXLI0Qm-N97Lyzj7FkY5qNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

One more thing that occurred to me is that your excessive richness
could have been caused by a worn out voltage regulator. This is a
commonly overlooked source of D-jet problems.

But, it does not explain the burned valve. The cause of that must be
with the valve, the valve job, the valve guide, or the valve spring.
A broken (invisible crack) spring could reduce the spring pressure to
the point where there's insufficient heat transfer from the valve to
the seat when the valve is closed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org