[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Nov 9 12:59:17 PST 2015

On 6 Nov 2015 at 10:17, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> The studs looked OK and I did not detect any twist in them as I was
> removing the cylinder head nuts.  If the stud was pulling, is that
> something I would easily notice?

The way I test for this is to loosen and re-TORQUE the head studs in
the course of taking the engine apart. If they come up to spec
torque, they're okay. If you can just keep turning and turning, you
know that they're stripped. This is not something you'll notice if
you're just loosening nuts.

> I also noticed the leak.  It appears that I was leaking out of cylinder 2
> (the one with the burned valve) and (if I am looking at this right)
> cylinder 4--both to the rear of the engine.

What do you mean by "noticed the leak"? Are you talking about
something you noticed BEFORE you pulled the engine?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org