[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 13:13:35 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 6 Nov 2015 at 10:17, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:
>
> > The studs looked OK and I did not detect any twist in them as I was
> > removing the cylinder head nuts.  If the stud was pulling, is that
> > something I would easily notice?
>
> The way I test for this is to loosen and re-TORQUE the head studs in
> the course of taking the engine apart. If they come up to spec
> torque, they're okay. If you can just keep turning and turning, you
> know that they're stripped. This is not something you'll notice if
> you're just loosening nuts.

Thank you, Jim.  So to loosen and re-torque these head studs I just lock
two nuts together, right?  Is the proper torque for the head studs in the
Bentley?  I have case savers installed.

> > I also noticed the leak.  It appears that I was leaking out of cylinder 2
> > (the one with the burned valve) and (if I am looking at this right)
> > cylinder 4--both to the rear of the engine.
>
> What do you mean by "noticed the leak"? Are you talking about
> something you noticed BEFORE you pulled the engine?

The leak I am referring to is the apparent leak indicated on the cylinder
heads on cylinders 2 and 4 where the cylinders meet the heads.
I never noticed any dripping of oil (my engine never dripped even a drop).
Could this be caused by some excessive over-heating in the moments after I
noticed the considerable drop in performance?
Assuming the cylinders were lapped to the head when my engine builder put
this together, should I re-lap cylinders 2 and 4 to the head?