[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Nov 19 06:46:56 PST 2015

On 19 Nov 2015 at 9:18, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> Hmm that's interesting, maybe it is indeed coming from the flasher
> relay. Doesn't sound like it though; it's not as loud as the normal
> click of the flasher relay when, for example, the turn signals are
> engaged. Sounds farther away and muffled, like I'm hearing it through
> the bulkhead.

On cars before '71, the TS relay contains 2 separate internal relays.
On my '68, the system transient caused only one of them to click, and
it wasn't the one that made the TS lamps flash. When you're actually
using the turn signals, both relays click, so, yes, the brake light
click was quieter.

The second relay in there is part of the system VW used to sense
whether all the bulbs were working. If you lost a bulb, the second
relay would not click and that made the relay clicks happen faster.
It's a complicated system and it took me a long time to figure out
how it worked. Not sure I still remember the details.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org