[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Nov 19 15:46:32 PST 2015

On 19 Nov 2015 at 18:03, William Sills wrote:

> I have a 66 bus, still 6volt, and just like Jim described, whenever I
> step on the brakes there is a click from the turn signal relay. At
> this point I kind of like it, as it's an audible way to know my brake
> lights are working!

Wow, I LOVE it!  ;-)

> The signal relay in my 64 notch is so quiet, I can't even hear it when
> the blinkers are on, so I don't know I that one does it too. That car
> is also still 6 volt. -Bill.

Could that be an aftermarket replacement? I don't remember what kind
of system the early 6 V cars had, but the old standard heated wire
system would have been completely quiet. If this is the large alum
cylinder, then I may have a dead one here somewhere. I'll have to
open it up and see what's in there. It's so large, there must be more
to it than the simple heated wire. IIRC, they were about 2" dia x 4"
long.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org