[T3] DOT 5 and brake light switches

Sean Bartnik sjbartnik at mac.com
Fri Nov 20 16:45:57 PST 2015

The ‘crate originally had the large aluminum cylinder you describe below.  Only 2 terminals on it, one for power in from the fuse box and one for power out to the turn signal switch and indicator light (two wires crimped onto the same terminal).  The one I had worked fine though it blinked a bit slow for my taste.  It did make an audible click as it blinked and because of the design, the interior indicator flashes opposite of the exterior turn signal bulbs.

I replaced it with the ’66+ 9-pin relay so I could have emergency flashers.  Works great, flashes faster than the aluminum can.  Based on what everyone else is saying, the click I’m hearing must indeed be from the flasher relay.  At any rate, it’s a good audible indicator to know the brake lights are working!

Jim, I received the brake light switch today, thanks again.  Interesting to see one cut open and see how it works on the inside.  Pretty basic stuff!  I’ll try and get some good macro photos and put them online so the knowledge can be shared.

-Sean