[T3] Shock Absorbers - Rear

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 17:24:57 PDT 2015

In a message dated 10/11/2015 7:42:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gbforsmo at gmail.com writes:

The  lower rubber "doughnut" on my left-rear shock absorber on my 1969
Square  disintegrated.

The "clattering" I heard was from the lower ring  (without the rubber)
beating itself on the mounting bolt.

I removed  the entire LR Shock and left the RR in place.  The car drives
fine  with 3 shocks, but there is a noticeable "bounce" in the  rear.

Questions:

1. Are there any OE shocks  available?
2. Are OE shocks *OIL*- or  *GAS*-filled?
3. Will either oil- or gas-filled shocks be OK  for summer driving, 1,000
to 2,000 miles per  year?
4. I've tried to find companies who still make a pretty  good quality
shock.  Here
<http://www.pepboys.com/parts/steering_suspension_alignment/shocks_struts_re
ar/00966/1969/VOLKSWAGEN/TYPE3%253A%2520FSB%252CSQB/0/4-1600%2520air%2520coo
led>
5. Brands:  Bilstein?  KYB?  Monroe?  Others?

Any  suggestions?  Anybody have two, matching rear shocks?  I would  prefer
VW OEM shocks if they are available.

Gary,
George (aka Tram on the Samba) recommends going with Bilstiens. If  you
contact him thru a Samba PM, He could even get you part numbers, along  with a
seller that he deals with. : )

You could also ask him if he's got any OE used shocks that are still  good
(worth a shot).

Like Jim would tell you though, our cars are actually lightly  shocked,
which is why they last so long before needing replacement.My 65 is  still
wearing it's OE shocks, as did my 64 T-34.
I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  S with Sunroof