[T3] Shock Absorbers - Rear

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Oct 12 21:59:47 PDT 2015

On 13 Oct 2015 at 1:12, Dave Hall wrote:

> Does the shock absorber still give resistance when compressed and expanded?
> If so you may only need to source a new bush for it.  I think those for CV
> joint rear suspension have a wider sleeve than the bush on the lower end -
> or am I mistaken?  My list of equivalents has them as the same as a Super
> Beetle rear.
>
> If the shock absorber function is OK when tested by repeat compression and
> expansion, VW say they don't both have to be renewed as a pair, but
> considering  the mileage they have on them, it may be silly not to.

Yes, the shock absorber function is still perfectly good.

These are aftermarket shocks that happen to have smaller than normal
bottom "eyes." I tried taking a bushing out of a dead shock, but it
was far too big to fit in this shock. I've looked around a bit for
replacement bushings, but they just don't seem to be available in
this size. It's a mystery as to why this shock uses an odd size eye.

The shock has several numbers on it, plus a "made in USA" but no
makers name or logo. Yes, seems very odd. When I get more time, I'll
take it to a local shock shop to see if they recognize it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org