[T3] sticky door locks

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 26 07:52:10 PDT 2015

On 26 Oct 2015 at 11:32, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> Hello all!  Both of the door locks on my '73 Fasty work but are
> extremely hard to turn.  I'm assuming that the locks are probably
> gunked up with dirt and probably old graphite from over the years.
> Anyway, I am afraid of breaking my key.  Is there anything I can
> possibly soak my locks in to clean it all out or do I need to
> disassemble the door locks in order to clean them and then re-graphite
> them.  Also is graphite the proper lubricant or should I use something
> else?

Graphite is the correct lubricant for the lock cylinder, but the
difficulty is probably not there. The actual locking mechanism is
deeper in the door. The first thing to try would be to dribble some
oil in the little hole above the latch in the edge of the door. It
will take some time, maybe a couple of hours, for the oil to find its
way to the tight spots.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org