[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 05:41:40 PDT 2015

> FI or carbs?

FI

> Since the valves were all loose, I'd start by trying to find out why.
> There are only 2 things that I can think of that might cause this:
> running extremely rich, causing carbon buildup on the valve seats,
> and the lower head studs pulling out of the case.

I have suspected rich running for some time, because my average fuel
economy (aside from the trip to Sacramento) was 17-18 mpg.  I seem to
recall that a stock engine should be getting better fuel economy than that.

> Since your gas mileage seemed pretty normal, start by checking the
> studs. pull off the rocker assys and see if the lower studs will take
> normal torque. You said that the engine had just been rebuilt, so
> note that if your engine now has the late style 8 mm head studs, it
> must be torqued to a lower value. DO NOT try to torque 8 mm studs to
> the 10 mm torque.

I am positive that my engine builder used case savers.  Here is a picture
of the engine on his stand:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sk0h76wD6g4mPYDRX9bYs9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I will torque to the lower value and see if they have any give.