[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Sep 9 08:26:58 PDT 2015

On 9 Sep 2015 at 5:41, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> FI

> I am positive that my engine builder used case savers.  Here is a picture
> of the engine on his stand:

> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sk0h76wD6g4mPYDRX9bYs9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
>
> I will torque to the lower value and see if they have any give.

Note that the range of torques listed in the Type 3 Bentley manual is
for 10 mm studs. The correct torque for 8 mm studs is given in the
late (orange) Bentley beetle manual. From your photo, I can't be sure
which you have. In that photo, it LOOKS like the case savers stick
above the case surface slightly. They should be slightly below the
surface, but that's something you should verify. You don't want the
cylinders to hit them.

Since you have case savers, and IF the case savers aren't hitting the
cylinders, you can go a couple ft-lbs above the spec torque for
whichever size those studs are. Note that the stud size is measured
at the threads, not the smooth center part, of the stud.

In your photo #15, I can see the tell-tale sign of a Type 1 intake
manifold gasket on the dual port head. That's bad because it will
lead to a bad vacuum leak at that joint. Check to make SURE you have
the correct Type 3 gasket there. That gasket is paper-faced bakelite
and is about 1/8" thick. The Beetle gasket is metal and probably
crushes to less than 1 mm thick.

The correct gaskets DO NOT come in any common gasket kit. I have
them, however, but I'm afraid they're not cheap. They are almost
unavailable these days. I don't think any of the normal suppliers
still have any.

I was surprised to see that you found a jack that would fit under the
back seat. If you store it there, you should make sure that it can't
rub against the brake line. If it did, it would eventually rub thru
that line, which is a real PITA to replace.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org