[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 09:16:34 PDT 2015

> Note that the range of torques listed in the Type 3 Bentley manual is
> for 10 mm studs. The correct torque for 8 mm studs is given in the
> late (orange) Bentley beetle manual. From your photo, I can't be sure
> which you have. In that photo, it LOOKS like the case savers stick
> above the case surface slightly. They should be slightly below the
> surface, but that's something you should verify. You don't want the
> cylinders to hit them.

Since you have case savers, and IF the case savers aren't hitting the
> cylinders, you can go a couple ft-lbs above the spec torque for
> whichever size those studs are. Note that the stud size is measured
> at the threads, not the smooth center part, of the stud.

I measured at the threads and it appears that they are, indeed, 8mm studs.
I used the torque value from the red "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen
Air-Cooled Engine" book by Tom Wilson.  I believe the value he listed was
18 ft lbs.  I looked at the case savers I can see with the engine in the
car (a few) and none are hitting the cylinders.

> In your photo #15, I can see the tell-tale sign of a Type 1 intake
> manifold gasket on the dual port head. That's bad because it will
> lead to a bad vacuum leak at that joint. Check to make SURE you have
> the correct Type 3 gasket there. That gasket is paper-faced bakelite
> and is about 1/8" thick. The Beetle gasket is metal and probably
> crushes to less than 1 mm thick.

You are right that I used to have the T1 gaskets on, nice catch.  Before
the rebuild I was using those, now (post-rebuild), I am using the proper T3
gasket.

> I was surprised to see that you found a jack that would fit under the
> back seat. If you store it there, you should make sure that it can't
> rub against the brake line. If it did, it would eventually rub thru
> that line, which is a real PITA to replace.

Good point and something I had not thought about.  I'll get that jack out
of there.  Having recently gone through the brakes, that is an area of the
car I hope to never have to touch again.