[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 11:59:35 PDT 2015

I have an update.  After adjusting the valves and swapping the oil (no
noticeable metal in the oil I dumped), I fired it up.  The car was running
on three cylinders and I confirmed that cylinder 2 was not firing.

So I pulled the plugs. Here is a link to the photo: http://bit.ly/1J4WB5I

I am no expert in reading plugs, but plug #2 looks terrible.  It is black
and oily--obviously fouled.

After about an hour (so the engine was not warm, but not really cold
either), I checked the compression.  Cylinder 1, 3, and 4 were each around
120-125.  Sadly, cylinder 2 read zero.  I checked cylinder 2 again.  Still
zero, this time I have heart burn.

Once I get the stomach to return to the car, what shall I do next?  I read
in my books that zero compression is indicative of either a hole in the
piston, shot rings (must be really bad), or a burned valve.  Is there
anything I can/should do before dropping the engine?