[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 18:41:55 PDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Keith Park <topnotch at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> You might be yet another victim of the chinese cylinder kits,  every
> spec must be checked an even then...

I'd like to think it must have been some catastrophic part failure.  The
engine builder was well-respected and had been building VW engines for
decades.  From what I can decipher on my invoice, it appears he used new
pistons/cylinders and charged me $165 for the kit.  At that price (assuming
a little markup), that probably means a chinese set, right?

As for the heads, I brought him three sets of stock FI VW heads and had him
pick the best set.  He machined them and redid the valves.

So assuming my zero compression is due to either a burned valve or an issue
with the piston/cylinder, my guess is that it was related to cheap parts.
Pulling the engine should reveal the issue.

Were these 85.5's?

Yes.  I just wanted a stock build.

Once I get the engine out, and ascertain the cause of the failure, I will
likely have many more questions about the best way to proceed.  If I was
the victim of a cheap chinese cylinder kit, then I wonder if I should
replace all of them while the engine is out.