[T3] Steering box replacement questions

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Apr 15 07:35:33 PDT 2016

On 14 Apr 2016 at 19:53, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> 1-Is it absolutely necessary to remove the gas tank?

I don't know, because I've never had to do this job. If you just need
a bit of extra clearance, just remove the 4 tank bolts and lift the
tank a bit and put some spacers under the tank flange on the driver's
side. This should give you the extra room you need, without having to
disconnect everything. It might be a good idea to also loosen the
clamp on the inlet hose before you do this.

> 2-What´s the best way to deal with the drop arm? Is it necessary to
> get a special tool like this?

I would try to leave it in place. It's very hard to get off, so I'd
remove the tie rod ends and steering damper instead.

> Or could I maybe use my tie rod end removal tool?

If you have one of the nice little screw type removers, those will
pop off the tie rod ends without damage. I don't care for the pickle
forks, simply because they tear up the boot and probably damage the
tie rod.

> 3-Should we remove the tie rod ends from the drop arm before removing
> the arm or should we keep them in place throughout the job?

As above, i would.

> 4-What lubricant is most recommended for inside the box?

I have used #2 grease containing MoS2. I don't think there's anything
special about it. VW says "liquid grease" but nobody knows what that
is and if you look at it, it's just plain grease. Early Beetles used
gear oil and had an easily accessible fill plug to top it up. I don't
know about very early Type 3s, but your '69 will just have plain
brown grease.

> 5-I keep reading that we´re supposed to center the box by lining up
> the gap in the collar on the input shaft with a mark on the body of
> the box. I just want to be sure I have the right mark on the box. Does
> this look okay?
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1492065.jpg <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1492065.jpg>

Yes, that's the right gap and mark, but the way to do it is to
install the box, turn the input shaft until the gap is facing
straight down, then remove the steering wheel and reinstall it as
close to perfectly upside down as possible.

> 6-Any common difficulties or stumbling blocks I should be aware of?

As Bob mentioned, you have to get the clamp piece back on in the
right (31, not 34) direction. Be careful to clean off the mounting
area all around the beam, so you don't trap any dirt under the
gearbox or clamp, as that could let things start out misaligned
and/or work loose later.

Look carefully at the rubber flex disk, but don't discard it too
quickly. The new ones available are not nearly as tough as the
originals.

And, as Bob mentioned, pay attention to the wires, so you can
reinstall them as they were when you took things apart.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org