[T3] 73 T3 IRS rear bearings?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Feb 8 13:14:15 PST 2016

On 7 Feb 2016 at 22:14, William J wrote:

>  In my last email I wrote I checked both sides and the only movement I found
> was witha bar under each tire lifting up there was play . I can't really
> measure it. Both sides if I pull on the tire and push it back the max I feel
> is .010" to .015" . I also rotated each wheel 90 degrees and 180 degrees and
> had the same result. I did this just to check the bearings in different
> positions.

I agree with Bob. What you're seeing is normal play in the bearings.
They have internal clearance, so what you feel is that clearance
multiplied by the length of the lever arm out to the OD of the tire.

The reason the play is more perceptable up and down is that the play
is actually in a circle. The weight of the wheel/tire holds the axle
to the bottom of that arc so you have to lift that mass up to the
center of the circle in order to move it left and right. I think this
would be more obvious if you removed the wheel.

What you're concerned about is normal.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org