[T3] When I change the auto trans diff oil?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Mar 1 22:13:21 PST 2016

On 1 Mar 2016 at 15:37, William J wrote:

> The thing that really bugs me is when I had the trans out in 2002 I
> had no idea this seal was a concern or I would have replaced it then.

The idea that this seal is a common wearout item comes as a surprise
to me. I believe there is a comment in the AT section of the Bentley
about early ATs having that seal installed in one direction but that
it should be turned around if the AT is rebuilt.

I have 3 AT Type 3s and that seal hasn't been touched on any of them.
Nor have I ever seen a problem with that seal. In your case, my guess
is that your engine and tranny was pulled for some reason and not
installed very carefully. It's quite possible that neither is
original to your car. Nevertheless, my greatest concern would be
about what else the previous mechanic did poorly.

Yes, change all the fluids: ATF, gear oil, engine oil, and brake
fluid. Check the bolts that hold the torque converter to the drive
plate. Check the bolts that hold the engine to the AT and the rear
mount crossbar bolts. Check the CV joint bolts. Check the caliper
hoses for unusual twists and check the caliper attaching bolts. Check
the master cylinder bolts. Check the pedal cluster bolts. Check the
rubber mounts for the FI fuel pump.

Look for tracks where this person has been before, and double check
his work.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org