[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 09:31:05 PDT 2016

In a message dated 3/14/2016 12:02:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
catnine09 at dslextreme.com writes:

When I first filled the drained trans to the 6 pints and didn't add the 5
oz . What I described above was the result . Then I added the 5 oz and the
fluid appeared to be more visable above the first mark ( was not half the
width of the stick ) yet it was not really filling the groove on the high
mark so I added another 3 oz and this seemed to fill the high mark groove
and the slight bit above that high mark was more or less a thin short wipe
not something I felt was to  much fluid.

How warm do you have the trans when checking the level? Normally I'll do an
 11 mile run, with some highway speeds mixed in, just to make sure
everything is  really warmed up. I've found that by doing this, I can get a good
read on the  fluid level, and if I need to add a little more, it'll be just
right for normal  use afterwards. if you haven't done something like that to
get the trans up to  operating temp, then your level might still be higher
than you want. I only say  that, as transmission fluid expands when it warms up.

What you might find, is that while you're slightly above the mark while
semi-warm-still kind of cool, that once up to true operating temperature you
might find that you're either above the upper line, depending how much
you've  actually worked the trans (reverse and forward directions).

If you're having trouble reading/seeing the upper line, you might want to
do like GM did in the later years, and drill a small hole in the stick at
the  upper line. This seems to make seeing where the level is a lot easier.
Just my take from dealing with automatic transmissions over the years. I
hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch  with sunroof