[T3] Mystery Miss

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat May 7 23:26:04 PDT 2016

On 7 May 2016 at 21:33, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> You mention the ignition switch which is interesting because about 40%
> of the time when I turn the key to start the motor the fuel pump will
> run continuously but the starter does nothing. The idiot lights dim
> though as I turn the key. Also, today, I had a unique experience.....I
> turned the key and something in the starter whirred and clicked and
> clacked but the starter didnTMt engage. Related or coincidental?

There's a wire from the starter solenoid that tells the brain when
the solenoid is energized. That keeps the fuel pump relay energized.
The facts that your pump runs and the lights dim are all consistent
with power getting to the solenoid correctly.

Your starter problem must have something to do with the starter, the
solenoid, the flywheel, or the starter bushing.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org