[T3] I want to change my brake fluid it's been a while? 73 SB

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri May 13 19:45:48 PDT 2016

I've just re-read the factory method for changing the brake fluid (dual
circuit). It says to remove most of the fluid from the reservoir and replace
with fresh.  It also quotes the number of pedal strokes needed for each
wheel, and gives the approximate fluid quantity, which if you're using
gravity to do it, could be helpful to know.

Right front 30 strokes, 100 cc; left front 15 strokes 50 cc; right rear 25
strokes, 80 cc; left rear 10 strokes, 30 cc.  It doesn't say this is
different for LHD and RHD, but I may have to modify the figures for my
right-hand drive to take account of the different pipe-runs relative to M/C
and reservoir positions.  There are about 30 cc (ml) to a fluid ounce.

If you pump the pedal, you'll need to have someone close the bleed up each
return stroke to be sure of keeping air out.  The preferred machine
pressurises the system to a few psi and keeps the reservoir topped up,
allowing a single mechanic to do the job.

With fluid being topped up as necessary in the reservoir, and no pumping on
the pedal, you shouldn't get air into the front calipers as the system
remains full of fluid. Use the drain screws at the bottom if you've the
choice.

For dual circuit, you always do the front first, whether bleeding or
changing fluid.

For single circuit brakes, you start with the furthest from the M/C.

These old factory manuals make great reading!

Enjoy the quality time with your Type 3.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club