[T3] I want to change my brake fluid it's been a while? 73 SB

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat May 14 08:48:20 PDT 2016

On 13 May 2016 at 22:25, Dave Hall wrote:

> I've a simple piece of rubber pressure tubing that has a screw in the
> lower end, and a slit cut with a Stanley knife (eg) which fits on a
> bleed screw and acts as a one way valve.  Press on the pedal and the
> fluid squirts out of the slit, without allowing air back in.  Good for
> single-handed bleeding, but rather slow for changing fluid.

It's a standard chem lab trick, except that instead of a screw, you
use something inert, like a glass or ceramic bead that's slightly
larger than the ID of the tubing. For brake fluid, a steel ball
bearing would be a good choice.

Frankly, I considered doing this, but the plain tube in the bottle
works perfectly well. Backwash on the upstroke is minimal, so nothing
but fluid gets drawn back in if the upstroke is quick and the tube
runs a bit uphill from the bleed valve. And even if you suck in a
tiny bubble, gravity flow will bring it out a second or 2 later, so I
often don't even bother with the uphill part.

Maybe the key is how you pump. Do it quickly, both up and
downstrokes. If you watch the tube while someone else does this,
you'll see the fluid move out into the tube 2-4 inches on each
downstroke and back up maybe 1/4" on each upstroke. Fast pumps are
also important for creating turbulence in the system, which helps
stir up dirt & rust and carry it out of the system.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org