[T3] I want to change my brake fluid it's been a while? 73 SB

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat May 14 14:00:14 PDT 2016

On 14 May 2016 at 13:41, William J wrote:

> Trouble is Mike the brake fluid is now over 12 years old.

Brake fluid itself doesn't age, but, unless it is silicone, DoT-5, it
absorbs water, which reduces the boiling point and makes it somewhat
corrosive and rust promoting. VW originally recommended testing
and/or replacing the brake fluid (the OE stuff was DoT-4) every 2
years. Since I don't know of any way to actually test it, it's worth
flushing and filling with dry brake fluid every few years.

Unless you switch to DoT-5.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org