[T3] (no subject)

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri May 20 16:54:53 PDT 2016

There's a 'how to' on my website at
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/lockpart.htm .
It was written quite a while ago, but the locks haven't changed!
I have the code books, but if you're matching to an existing key, it's not
hard to work out what tumblers you need from how deep the notches are.

While the tumblers are the same, the key profile changes, so the barrels
would also have to match the profile of the key you want to use.

I did find a tumbler kit at a VW show years ago, and rather regret not
getting it, but with a fair few old barrels available, it's just a matter of
finding the right tumblers.

Don't forget to mark the key code on the handle or barrel if you change it,
or a later owner may get very frustrated!

My car had a new tailgate lock fitted by the first owner, so I've always had
2 keys. Some of the early years were supplied that way from new.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club