[T3] Intake manifold boots

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Oct 9 12:52:49 PDT 2016

On 9 Oct 2016 at 1:31, Jim Adney wrote:

> I have new and good used OE IAD to intake runner sleeves. I don't
> know how to describe them; they are just euro style hose, with the
> outer fabric cover. I've never had to replace any of these on any car
> I've worked on.

I should add that the most important thing you can do to make sure
your hoses both seal and last, is to make sure that you have the
correct Type 3 FI-only intake gaskets installed (not the metal ones
for Beetles) and the intake runners nicely aligned with the IAD ports
before you slide the hoses into position.

The correct gaskets are about 4-5 mm taller than the incorrect ones,
so this makes alignment possible. Start with the intake runners and
the IAD all installed loosely and move them all to get the best
alignment possible as you tighten the bolts. Then bend the intake
runners to remove any remaining misalignment.

If you do this correctly, these parts will never need hose clamps or
any other attention. Old hoses that have been distorted by
misalignment can be recovered if you align the parts, force the
distorted hoses into place, clamp them with nylon cable ties and
drive them that way for a year or so. After that, you can remove the
cable ties. Don't use hose clamps, even though this seems to be
common practice; the engine needs to expand and contract with temp
changes, but hose clamps tend to grip too tightly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org