[T3] Porsche 914 tach on a 73 SB

Mike Fisher fisherfarms at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 06:17:27 PDT 2016

Will it fit in the clock hole?  Jeff Bowlsby makes/sells custom wiring
looms for various cars and probably knows the answers to your questions.
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM, 73 squareback Cincy <
swaffordvw at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> VW friend of mine told me to run the feed line off of the neg. on the
> coil. I was gonna give this a shot. but i dont want to fry the tach so im
> trying to be 100% sure.
> It is a MT with 32pdsit carbs. No FI. So i guess ill have to do alittle
> researching to make sure this is correct.
> Chris537
>

> On 10/22/2016 11:45 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
>
>> On 22 Oct 2016 at 17:18, 73 squareback Cincy wrote:
>>
>> I came across a 914 tach, and would like to install it in my
>>> Squareback since i always wanted a tech in it. Its been 25 years since
>>> i had a tach in a VW so im asking, what is the best way to install
>>> this dude for it to detect the RPM's? and is there any kits out there
>>> where i can mount it under my dash or something?
>>>
>> You would need to start by finding out how it was wiyred in a 914,
>> then duplicating that in your Type 3. Our ignition systems are the
>> same, so you would only need to duplicate the 914 wiring.
>>
>> You will need at least 1 extra wire running back to the engine. If
>> your '73 is an MT, there will be one extra red wire that runs from
>> (near) the fuel pump relay to near the oil cooler in back. All '70-3
>> Type 3s got this wire, but only the AT cars used it. The engine end
>> will be cut off. The dash end will be hanging freely or may be
>> connected to the fuel pump relay.
>>
>> If it's too large to replace the clock, check your FLAPs for a
>> mounting bracket, or make your own.
>>

> ---

Eugene, Oregon

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/