[T3] broken horn ring and a cool weather idle hunt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 26 23:36:48 PDT 2016

On 26 Oct 2016 at 18:30, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I lowered the warm idle speed from close to 920 down near 850. It had
> no effect on the cold morning lope  which is getting more extreme as
> the mornings get cooler. Anything I should look at next? Again....I
> didn´t have this problem at all last winter or spring with all the
> same components. In terms of adjustments, the only thing ITMve touched
> since the spring was the MPS and that was back in July.

Has anything been changed on your Aux Air Regulator since last
winter? It sounds like it may be opening too soon, but, from your
description, I get the impression that this isn't really the problem.
Could there be another air leak that seals up as some rubber part
warms and becomes more flexible?

With the engine warm, pull the AAR hose off the air cleaner and close
it with your thumb. The idle speed should not change significantly.
Is that what you find?

> Finally, a new small issue: one of my headlights only works on high
> beam. Fuse is new, clean, and good. Of course I can check grounds and
> connections, but does this tend to be a bulb/filament issue or a
> connection issue or is there no way to generalize?

If the fuse is good (use a voltmeter to check the voltage on each
side of each fuse when that fuse is energized) then it's most likely
the bulb. Because low beams see MUCH more use than highs, they always
burn out first.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org